* 1937 Pioneers founder, Nozomu Matsumoto develops
the A-8 dynamic speaker.
* 1938 Jan. Fukuin Shokai Denki Seisakusho (precursor of Pioneer)
is founded in Tokyo.
* 1947 May Fukuin Denki is incorporated.
* 1953 Dec. Hi-Fi Speaker PE-8 introduced.
* 1961 Jun. Company name changed to Pioneer Electronic Corporation
(now Pioneer Corporation).
* 1961 Oct. Shares are listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange Second
* 1962 Jun. Introduces the worlds first separate stereo
* 1966 Mar. Establishes sales companies in Europe and the U.S.
* 1968 Feb. Shares are listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange First
* 1968 Apr. Shares are listed on the Osaka Securities Exchange.
* 1969 Feb. Shares are listed on the Amsterdam Stock Exchange
(now Euronext Amsterdam). U.S. GAAP consolidated financial reporting
* 1975 Nov. Introduces the worlds first component car stereo.
* 1976 Dec. Shares are listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
* 1977 Dec. Introduces the worlds first two-way addressable
CATV system in the U.S. (with Warner Cable).
* 1979 Feb. Introduces the industry-use Laserdisc player.
* 1980 Jun. Introduces VP-1000 LD player for home use in the
* 1981 Oct. Introduces LD player for home use and 70 LD software
titles in Japan.
* 1982 Oct. Introduces the LD Karaoke system for business use.
* 1982 Nov. Introduces CD player.
* 1984 Sep. Introduces the worlds first LD combination
player compatible with CDs and LDs.
* 1984 Oct. Releases the worlds first car CD player.
* 1985 Dec. Introduces the 40-inch projection monitor.
* 1990 Jun. Introduces the worlds first CD-based GPS automotive
* 1992 Oct. Introduces the worlds first 4x CD-ROM changer.
* 1996 Jun. Tokorozawa Plant earns ISO 14001 certification.
* 1996 Dec. Introduces DVD/CD player and the worlds first
DVD/LD/CD compatible player for home use.
* 1997 May Starts supplying digital satellite broadcast set-top
boxes in Europe.
* 1997 Jun. Introduces the worlds first DVD-based GPS automotive
* 1997 Oct. Introduces the worlds first DVD-R drive.
* 1997 Nov. Introduces the worlds first OEL-equipped car
* 1997 Dec. Introduces the worlds first high definition
50-inch plasma display for consumer use.
* 1998 Jun. Introduces the worlds first DVD-based GPS automotive
navigation system featuring 8.5GB dual-layered DVD disc.
* 1998 Oct. Introduces new corporate logo.
* 1999 Apr. Starts supplying digital CATV set-top boxes in the
* 1999 Dec. Introduces the worlds first DVD recorder compatible
with the DVD-RW format.
* 2000 Mar. Shares of Tohoku Pioneer are listed on the Tokyo
Stock Exchange Second Section.
* 2001 Jun. Introduces hard disk-based GPS automotive navigation
* 2001 Jul. Introduces the global brand slogan sound.vision.soul.
* 2002 Nov. Introduces GPS automotive navigation system with
a wireless communication module.
* 2002 Nov. Introduces a DVD recorder with hard disk.
* 2003 Mar. Introduces in the U.S. digital CATV settop boxes
with high definition TV signal reception capability.
* 2003 Sep. Total shipment worldwide of PC-use recordable DVD
drives surpasses 5 million units.
* 2004 Jul. Introduces the world's first DVD player for professional
DJs and VJs.
* 2004 Sep. Transfer of NECs plasma display business is
completed. Pioneer Plasma Display Corporation (previously NEC
Plasma Display Corporation) starts operation on October 1, 2004.
* 2006 Jan. President Kaneo Ito and Chairman Kanya Matsumoto,
son of the company's founder, leave their posts to take responsibility
for the recent poor performance of the maker of DVD recorders
and plasma TVs. Vice President Tamihiko Sudo was appointed new
president, effective from January 1 by the board of directors.
* 2006 Dec. Pioneer closed its car audio division in Singapore.
Thanks to Wikipedia